UF’s provost announced Friday that Michael Reid will be serving as the new dean for the College of Health and Human Performance starting in July.

“It is clear that the people in the College of Health and Human Performance have some really exciting ideas and interesting initiatives, both in research and education, and as dean, it’s my job to help make those things happen,” said Reid, a professor and chairman for the Department of Physiology at the University of Kentucky.

Reid underwent two rounds of interviews, and after the four-month-long process, he received his offer letter last week.

“This is all so very new. I’m still shocked,” he said.

He said the college has a lot of room to grow in research and educational programs, specifically graduate programs and distance learning. Reid’s research focuses on the mechanisms that contribute to muscle weakness and premature fatigue. He said he hopes to balance his administrative obligations with his research.

“I’m a scientist. I can’t imagine not being involved in research,” Reid said.

College of Health and Human Performance professor Kelli Brown said she assumed her role as interim dean in September. She will leave UF to become provost at Georgia College.

Reid said he is particularly excited about his first six months learning firsthand about the college and its people.

“It’s going to be like Christmastime,” he said.