Ten reasons the homeless should treat Bo Diddley with more respect

For the Lolz is a humor blog. It's a sarcastic take on the world around us. Please read the posts in this section with a light heart and eager smile.

If you are a resident of Gainesville, then you most certainly have heard of Bo Diddley Plaza. Additionally, you have probably visited Bo Diddley Plaza and been enchanted by all of the manically ranting homeless people. However, you might not have known that Bo Diddley was an actual person whose plaza deserves as much respect as anyone else's. Here are 10 reasons why the homeless should show more respect to Bo's plaza.

10. In 1987, Bo Diddley was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, making him officially the coolest person from Gainesville ever.

9. His last words before he died were reportedly "I'm going to heaven." Few people get to pick their last words and while my first choice would be "save the manatees," those spoken by Bo Diddley are a close second.

SaveTheManatee1

8. Bo Diddley had big balls. In 1955, Bo Diddley was asked to perform "Sixteen Tons" by Ernie Ford. Instead, Bo decided to perform his own song, which is self titled "Bo Diddley" and probably sounds a little bit familiar.

7. He wrote the song "Who do you love?," which has been on arguably every other commercial since he wrote it in 1956.

6. Bo Diddley was an inventor. Besides inventing the rectangular guitar, Bo invented his own beat called the "Bo Diddley beat," which has since been used by several other artists from Rihanna to Ted Nugent.

5. Rolling Stone Magazine has Bo Diddley ranked as the 20th greatest artist of all time. Suck it, Picasso.

4. Bo Diddley supported equality. Well, duh, he supported the obvious one. But he was also one of the first musicians to include women band members in his band.

bo diddley girl

3. Bo Diddley's other nickname is "The Originator" because he is credited with being a key figure in the transition from blues to rock and roll. Some of the acts Bo has influenced include Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepellin and The Beatles. That's a pretty solid list, despite the absence of Hootie and the Blowfish.

2. James Brown and Bo Diddley were pals.

1. His stage name "Bo Diddley" literally means nothing. So ballsy.

So, homeless people reading this article, next time you are thinking about going on a psychotic rant in the middle of Bo Diddley plaza and scaring away all of the normal, homed people try ranting somewhere else. Like at Sweetbay, with the rest of the considerate homeless people.

Photos courtesy of 2.bp.blogspot.com and answers.com.