Many trees on UF’s campus were painted blue about six months ago to make a statement. But some Gators have begun to think the message has been lost.

Australian artist Konstantin Dimopoulos painted UF’s trees blue with an environmentally safe pigment that would last up to nine months, according to his website. He chose blue because he associates the color with sacredness, and he wanted to make his viewers aware of the trees’ existence and the deforestation that occurs worldwide.

Noel Kassewitz, who helped paint the trees, still notices them. However, the UF 22-year-old fine arts senior said not everyone does.

“I do feel people have gotten used to the blue trees, and they no longer have quite the shock factor they initially did,” she said. “But we get tons of visitors on campus, so I’m sure it’s still quite the surprise to them and sparks art and environmental conversations.”

Jasper Curry notices them, too, but questions the message.

“It’s slightly ironic how we’re talking about protecting nature while we’re painting it blue,” said the 20-year-old economics junior.

Richard Heipp, interim director of UF’s School of Art + Art History, said Dimopoulos’ method might not be the most effective.

“It depends on the definition of effective,” he said.

Heipp said the exhibit might become pedestrian, but it can also cause double takes.

The exhibit cost $22,000 and was funded by the UF Foundation, according to Alligator archives.

Some people may wonder why the money wasn’t used to help a foundation that works to prevent deforestation.

“The objective is different,” Heipp said. “[Artists] are more about getting the message across through poetry. It causes the viewer to have an interaction and asks viewers to make associations.”

UF student Shannon Smith agrees with Heipp.

“I much prefer statement art over donations,” said the 19-year-old biology sophomore. “But that’s because I always feel bad because I don’t have money to donate.”

Martha Monroe, a professor in the UF School of Forest Resources and Conservation, said the blue trees increase awareness of the importance of urban trees, which increase carbon sequestration, manage stormwater and reduce temperature.

Walking on Turlington Plaza, Smith still notices the out-of-the-ordinary trees and their symbolism for deforestation awareness.

“I don’t think they will ever become the norm,” she said.