Flying Biscuit Café: Serving the most important meal of the day

After writing reviews exclusively on places for lunch and dinner, I decided it was time to focus on the meal that often goes unnoticed. From my experiences as a college student so far, breakfast is usually a quick meal you eat on the go, if you eat anything at all. I decided to make it up by enjoying a late Saturday breakfast at the Flying Biscuit Café.

When you first arrive at the café, you are greeted by an extremely colorful interior design. The walls are a vibrant yellow, and the tabletops match the sunflower wall art. The aesthetic of the establishment lifts your mood, and is sure to wake you up if you aren’t exactly a morning person. 

If you want to enjoy the garden theme to its fullest, there is also an option of outdoor dining.

The Flying Biscuit offers a breakfast all day menu, allowing you to decide what time you want your first meal.  I decided on the Eggstra-Ordinary Breakfast ($6.75), which is two eggs with a side of “creamy dreamy” grits, “moon dusted” potatoes and one of the café’s name-sake flying biscuits.  While I am not a big egg person, I enjoyed that besides the normal options of how to cook them, the café also offers adding a variety of cheeses. 

I asked for scrambled eggs with white cheddar cheese, hoping that it would make the eggs something a little more exciting. When I got my food, everything tasted delicious. 

The grits were the weakest link, but they were easily improved with a little salt and pepper. The “moon dusted” potatoes were potato squares with the perfect blend of seasoning. 

The eggs didn’t disappoint, either. The Flying Biscuit cooks their eggs in oil, which brought out a creamy flavor in them.

If you’re the kind of person that doesn’t like breakfast foods, they also offer lunch. My boyfriend got the 3B Chicken sandwich ($8.50).  The three bs of the sandwich are blue cheese, turkey bacon and basil all on a grilled chicken breast with cheddar cheese and tamari mayo. 

The sandwich also typically comes with lettuce and tomato, but my boyfriend isn’t a fan of vegetables on his sandwich. 

The sandwich also came with a side of the “moon dusted” potatoes. Overall, he enjoyed his sandwich. His one complaint was that there was a little too much blue cheese.

By the way, the name sake flying biscuit was one of the best biscuits I ever tasted. It was nice and warm, and it felt as if I was eating a delicious cloud.

General Details:

Price Range:  $$

Good For: Breakfast, Lunch

Must Try: Eggstra-Ordinary Breakfast, The Flying Biscuit Breakfast, Bacon and Cheddar Chicken Sandwich

Hours: 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. Mon-Fri, 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sat-Sun

Location: 4150 NW 16th Blvd, Gainesville, FL