Morrison arrest shows irresponsibility, bad decision-making

<p>Antonio Morrison goes for a tackle during Florida’s 37-26 win against Florida State on Nov. 24. Morrison was arrested for the second time in five weeks on Sunday.</p>

Antonio Morrison goes for a tackle during Florida’s 37-26 win against Florida State on Nov. 24. Morrison was arrested for the second time in five weeks on Sunday.

Will Muschamp shouldn’t kick Antonio Morrison off the football team.

After watching the video of Morrison’s Sunday morning arrest obtained by The Gainesville Sun, I have no issue apologizing to Morrison for my rush to judgment with my Sunday column, “Muschamp should kick Morrison off team” at alligatorSports.org.

I assumed the worst following the middle linebacker’s second arrest in five weeks, and I agree with Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell that the incident likely warranted no more than a warning.

However, I stand by my previous point that Morrison’s actions on Sunday morning were both irresponsible and selfish. Also, I still believe that Morrison should miss more than the announced suspension of “at least two games.”

Morrison missing the Miami game may be some cause for concern, but is anybody losing sleep over how Toledo will attack the Florida defense on Aug. 31? I didn’t think so.

According to the video, Morrison lied to the arresting officer by denying he went to school at the University of Florida.

First, why would you ever lie to a police officer? That alone is a serious offense.

But more specifically, why would Morrison lie to a police officer only five weeks removed from his June 16 arrest for battery? They have you in their database, so lying about your identity just makes it worse.

Why dig an even deeper hole for yourself?

Secondly, Morrison being out in Gainesville after 2 a.m. is simply inexcusable, especially considering his previous arrest. Once you find yourself in Muschamp’s doghouse, why would you even consider doing anything to further violate his trust?

Even if the arresting officers were overzealous in their arrest of Morrison on Sunday morning, I’m sure Muschamp was not pleased to hear Morrison was out that late.

And finally, why would Morrison bark at a police dog?

Granted, he probably didn’t think he would be arrested for woofing, but I can’t imagine he thought that the officers wouldn’t care that someone was distracting their dog.

Why would he even go near a police car after his June 16 arrest?

If only Morrison had some sort of Jiminy Cricket on his shoulder screaming, “NO! NO! NO!”

I have never been arrested, but I imagine spending the night in jail is a humbling experience. Hell, I’ve received a couple of speeding tickets that turned me into a more cautious driver for several weeks afterward.

Had I been forced to answer to an upset Muschamp for those mistakes, I might have shredded my driver’s license and vowed to never operate a motor vehicle ever again.

That’s what bothers me most about Morrison’s arrest.

I don’t know how the meeting between Muschamp and Morrison went following the June 16 arrest, but I doubt Coach Boom merely slapped him on the wrist and said, “Keep your nose clean, kid.”

Why would Morrison choose to be out on the town way past an appropriate hour so soon after screwing up in such a major and public fashion?

Doesn’t he have a Netflix account like every other college student?

After his first arrest, Morrison should have played it safe like the rest of us by watching “Arrested Development” for the umpteenth time. Even if he isn’t a fan of the Bluth family, “The Avengers” is on Netflix now. Everybody loves that movie!

Online streaming aside, Morrison clearly underestimated the gravity of his first arrest by continuing the lifestyle that got him into trouble in the first place.

Morrison’s behavior was selfish and disrespectful to both his coaches and his teammates.

He needs to realize how his actions affect the people he works with every day — both the Netflix subscribers and the guys who manage to hang out in Gainesville without punching bouncers and barking at police dogs.

Morrison may have the talent to step in for Jon Bostic at middle linebacker, but the leadership role the Chicago Bears’ second-round NFL Draft selection left behind remains vacant.

Maybe the 8 p.m. curfew assigned to Morrison as a condition of his release will do him some good. Perhaps he can spend the extra time watching film or, I don’t know, sleeping.

I would offer to pay for a month of his Netflix subscription, but I don’t want to commit an NCAA violation. It’s only $8 per month, Antonio. Besides, I think they give you a free trial for your first month of membership.

Again, I apologize to Morrison for rushing to judgment, but regardless of the situation surrounding his arrest, he was clearly out of line. He had no excuse to put himself in that situation, especially considering his previous arrest.

Maybe two arrests will knock some sense into him. Maybe not.

But if Morrison treats this arrest like his first, I can’t imagine a scenario where Muschamp would tolerate a third run-in with the law.

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.