<p>Freshman linebacker Antonio Morrison (12) chases down Texas A&amp;M quarterback Johnny Manziel (5) during UF's 20-17 victory against Texas A&amp;M at Kyle Field.</p>

Freshman linebacker Antonio Morrison (12) chases down Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel (5) during UF's 20-17 victory against Texas A&M at Kyle Field.

Will Muschamp needs to make an example out of Antonio Morrison. An announced suspension of at least two games is a promising sign, but not nearly enough.

Muschamp needs to show the hard-hitting linebacker from Illinois the door.

Morrison was arrested for the second time in five weeks early Sunday morning for allegedly barking at a police dog and resisting arrest.

He was previously arrested on June 16 for punching a nightclub bouncer who would not allow the sophomore linebacker to enter the establishment at a discounted rate.

Prior to his first arrest, Morrison allegedly said to the bouncer: “Don’t you know who I am? I’m a UF football player. I’m Antonio!”

Sorry, Antonio. Awesome football superstars have to pay the same rate as us normal folks. At least in Gainesville they do.

The idiotic decisions made by Morrison during the ridiculous wee hours of the morning call his judgment into question. Not only as the guy tabbed to fill the leadership void left by Jon Bostic at middle linebacker, but, more importantly, as a human being.

Barking at a police dog? Really? 

The only reasonable explanation for a decision that dumb is drunkenness. But even if Morrison does decide to blame his childish behavior on drinking, he still has to deal with the fact that he was an intoxicated 19-year-old.

Last I checked, the drinking age is 21. And if you’re going partake in alcohol before your 21st birthday, you shouldn’t go around punching bouncers and barking at police dogs.

I feel like I shouldn’t have to come out and say that, but I digress.

Morrison’s second arrest provides Muschamp with an opportunity to further separate himself from the anarchic culture of player discipline during Urban Meyer’s tenure at UF.

Muschamp gave All-American cornerback Janoris Jenkins the boot after he was arrested twice for marijuana possession during a four-month span in 2011. Why should Morrison be treated any differently?

Aside from the charges, how is Morrison’s situation fundamentally different than that of Jenkins? Both cases involve guys failing to learn from previous boneheaded mistakes.

Morrison’s offenses are also troublesome considering each is rooted in confrontation. With the cloud of Aaron Hernandez’s arrest hanging over Florida, the last thing Muschamp needs to do is treat Morrison’s violent episodes lightly.

(Disclaimer: I am not suggesting that Morrison will become a murderer. Inferring that from my previous statement is absurd. Now back to the column.)

If Muschamp was sincere in his statement at Southeastern Conference Media Days last week that he is “100 percent responsible” for the behavior of his players off the field, will suspending Morrison for two games really amount to anything?

The embarrassment of the first arrest coupled with already being in Muschamp’s doghouse did not scare Morrison away from making another mistake. In fact, it resulted in no change in lifestyle whatsoever.

Both incidents occurred after 2 a.m. Both incidents occurred near nightclubs. Both incidents occurred because Morrison was unruly.

Morrison is selfish. Knowing what he means to his team, staying out as late as he is and getting into so much trouble indicates he is irresponsible and a problem for the Gators moving forward.

Why would Muschamp subject the non-troublemakers on his team to a guy who so clearly has no regard for how his behavior affects others?

I have no issue with college football players living it up and having a good time. In SEC college football towns, these guys are rock stars, and I get the allure of that.

Who am I to say that these guys shouldn’t bask in the adoration that comes with playing for the Gators? Have a great time! With all the work you do, you deserve some fun.

But when your actions devolve into misdemeanors and felonies and begin affecting your team as well as the safety of other people, you’ve gone too far.

Morrison has gone too far already. Muschamp shouldn’t give him the chance to go even further.

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.