U.S. News ranked UF Health and Shands in the top 50 for five of its medical specialties.

The survey from U.S. News listed Shands Hospital in the top 50 national rankings for its work in urology, pulmonology, nephrology, cardiology and heart surgery.

Tim Goldfarb, CEO of Shands, said this ranking system has been in place for about 15 years, and for every year it has existed, Shands has placed in the top 50 for several of its programs.

Goldfarb said Shands’ rankings reflect its level of patient care, as well as the skill level of its staff.

He said the competition between care centers is much fiercer because patients are so educated by news sources and the internet.

“There’s only one choice that brings together the best patient care and the best patient research,” he said. “And that’s UF Health.”

Vanessa Garcia, a 19-year-old UF pre-med sophomore, said UF Health’s reputation for outstanding healthcare and research was a major factor in her decision to enroll.

“I know that when I graduate I’ll be working with some of the best doctors and nurses in Florida,” Garcia said.