Believe it or not summer is well on its way out and fall is just around the corner. This is the perfect excuse to go shopping for colder weather clothes, right? Well, yes and no. You can still incorporate many of your summer pieces well into the fall season, so don’t think you should put away those shorts or sandals you love so much the moment it begins to hit below 70.

Tights are a great place to start. Slip on a pair of opaque tights under a pair of shorts, a skirt or your favorite summer dress if you’re not ready to give them up just yet. They will instantly make your outfit look much warmer and more put together that friends won’t notice that you’re wearing the same dress or skirt you’ve been wearing all summer.

Not ready to pack away that maxi dress you never got a chance to wear in the warmer months? You can keep it out for a little while longer while also creating a cute fall look. Throw on a fitted cardigan and bring it together with a skinny belt. While we’re on the subject of summer dresses, another way to transition this staple piece for colder days is by treating it like a skirt instead and slipping on a cashmere sweater over the top.

Layering is your best friend when it comes to the colder months. It will keep you warm and cozy inside and outside of classes, plus you can take off a few things if it begins to get a little too warm for your liking. Just make sure you don’t put on too much by remembering to keep it to only three levels of layering.

One item you should definitely consider is tweed. This wool blend just screams fall. You can wear a tweed blazer over a summer shirt or pair it with a tweed skirt instead. Tweed will make the rest of your outfit look so much classier.

The scarf is my favorite accessory for the cooler months, which is a piece every woman should own regardless of the season. You can wear them with just about everything from a short-sleeved shirt to a dress. It can make an entire outfit look a little less casual when you throw one on. They’re not only cute but vey versatile in the way you can wear them.

Let’s move a little lower now to the feet. Feel free the break out those boots that have been hibernating in the back of your closet for what seems like forever. You have an excuse to show off a little leg for longer when you put on your favorite pair with a skirt or just wear them with some skinny jeans.

What about those open-toe shoes of yours? Grab a set of solid or pattered socks and match them with your favorite pair of wedges or chunky heels for a fashion-forward fall look. They can either be ankle-length or knee-length but whatever you do please don’t try to pull off this look with white sport socks. Major fashion faux pas.

These are just some small steps to consider with the change in wardrobe these next coming months, and the great thing about living in Florida is that you can keep wearing many of your current wardrobe pieces well into the next season without fearing the cold.