Pride of the Sunshine marching band celebrates 100th anniversary this football season

<p>UF marketing senior and Fightin’ Gator Marching Band drum major Freddy Masterson, 21, counts time during a practice Thursday afternoon.</p>

UF marketing senior and Fightin’ Gator Marching Band drum major Freddy Masterson, 21, counts time during a practice Thursday afternoon.

The Fightin’ Gator Marching Band is celebrating its 100th year.

The accomplishment is made all the more sweet after this summer, when it won the Sudler Trophy, which goes to the country’s top marching band, said Jay Watkins, director of the marching band.

The band opened its practice on Thursday for everyone to watch them work on the halftime and pregame shows.

“All the students are excited to perform Saturday,” said Watkins.

Students said getting to be part of the 100th year and receiving the award is a big deal.

“It’s cool it’s happening at the same time,” said Hannah Bergstrom, a 20-year-old UF music education major who plays cymbals in the band.

The band is planning on incorporating the theme of the 100th anniversary into its shows, Bergstrom said.

They plan on playing UF-related songs, but adding a jazzy style to them.

“We’re having a lot of really great shows,” she said.

Watkins said the foundation that awards the Sudler trophy will make an official presentation during the homecoming game halftime show.

The band will celebrate the anniversary with a gala during the Georgia Southern game weekend, which is also its alumni weekend.

Bergstrom said she hopes people continue to support the band.

“When fans show their appreciation, it helps us play better and support the team more,” she said.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 8/30/2013 under the headline "Priiiide of the Sunshine turns 100"