As we’re all too familiar with, seasons in Florida just don’t exist. Temperatures rise and drop rapidly day by day, even in the heart of December. Watching the Northeast thrive in “fall weather” this past week was torture, let’s pretend we’re experiencing a rare cool front in September and need to break out our fall wardrobe.

So, how does one dress for fall in 85 degree weather?

1. Colors. The easiest way to embrace a seasonal change in your surroundings is through color. I mean, fall is the time of orange pumpkins and brown fallen leaves. Incorporate darker hues or jewel tones in your outfits, like forest green, navy blue or a dark cognac, to acknowledge September.
  2. Plaids are for fall. Layer a plaid shirt on top of a plain, loose dress (worn like a cardigan) or tank top and jeans. This is a subtle way of hinting at fall, without overheating.
  3. Loafers and boots. If you can handle it, short, low-heeled boots are a fun piece to wear in this awkward Floridian season. Pair them with a long, mullet-style dress or leggings. They’ll help you look more seasonal.
  4. Scarves. Lightweight scarves are an easy accessory to add seasonal flare. Opt for thin fabrics (save the heavy knits for a January cold front) and layer one on top of a tank and boyfriend jeans for an effortless look.

Fall is awesome, and just because Florida doesn’t have a “fall” season, doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy it. Find what works for you and look forward to Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks, Hocus Pocus replays and candy corn.