Interactive art installation in the works for rebuilt Reitz

<p>A photo of the artist's permanent public art installation at the Stephen P. Clark Government Center in Miami.</p>

A photo of the artist's permanent public art installation at the Stephen P. Clark Government Center in Miami.

In the made-over Reitz Union, a wall glows vivid hues of orange and blue. As students walk by, they cast digital shadows on its surface, reflecting computerized images that mirror their movements.

This is the vision for a piece of interactive art that will be built into the renovated area of the Reitz Union.

UF spokesman Steve Orlando said the art is still in the planning phase because the artist is waiting for completed building designs.

Bryan Yeager, manager of UF public art and university galleries — who is working closely with the artist — said the piece hasn’t been finalized yet, but “it’s well on its way.”

“I am planning to create an installation that acts like a waterfall of light,” artist Ivan Toth Depeña wrote in an email. “This light installation will use sensors that allow viewers to physically react to the piece and change its composition in real time. The installation is currently planned to vertically span the two lower, public levels of the new buildings lobby.”

Depeña is currently working with UF Facilities, Planning & Construction on the logistics.

The interactive wall will be built into the new building’s structure.

It’s expected to be completed by the grand opening of the renovated Reitz around Fall 2015.

Amy Vigilante, director of university galleries, said whenever a state building is being built, a certain percentage of that building’s funds is required to go toward buying art.

“Every project with state funding sets aside 0.5 percent of the construction budget with a maximum of $100,000 for Art in State Buildings program,” Orlando wrote in an email. “The Reitz Union has a $100,000 line item for the ASB, and it has been in the budget since the project’s inception.”

Once the money was set aside, a committee was formed to select the artist.

Student representatives suggested the piece be young and interactive, and the committee selected Depeña specifically for that purpose.

Depeña is a graduate of the New World School of the Arts high school in Miami, which is partnered with UF.

“He went there, so we’re kind of proud of that because he really is an alum,” Vigilante said.

Since then, Depeña has received his bachelor’s degree in architecture from the University of Miami and his master’s in architecture from Harvard.

Orlando said the fact the artwork chosen for the Reitz renovation is a contemporary piece in an area that has a huge flow of student and visitor traffic will be a positive image.

“It sort of reflects our Student Body — young, energetic, creative people,” Orlando said. “I think that’s a good connection and a good message to convey.”

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 9/16/2013 under the headline "Interactive art to go in revamped Reitz"