Consider the following: Bill Nye the Science Guy to speak at UF

’90s kids, get ready — Bill Nye the Science Guy is coming to Gainesville. Accent Speaker’s Bureau paid the renowned educational television star $40,000 to speak at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on Nov. 21.

“Bill Nye is the perfect combination of knowledgeable, fun and influential,” said chairman Daniel Landesberg.

Doors will open at 7 p.m., and the show will begin at 8 p.m. The show is free and open to the public.

Jacob Ludin, a 22-year-old biology senior, said he is looking forward to the chance to see “a legend at work.”

“I’m so grateful that Accent brings in speakers like Bill Nye, who can educate the Student Body about the importance of science and how much fun it can really be,” he said.

Tickets will be available at the Phillips Center for students at noon Nov. 20 and to the general public at 5 p.m. Nov 21.

Nye visited UF for an Accent event in 2007. According to Alligator archives, the 1,700 tickets were claimed, and 200 people watched from outside the Phillips Center.

When Accent brought scientist Neil de Grasse Tyson in the Spring, tickets were gone in 30 minutes of becoming available to students. There were no tickets for the public.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 10/25/2013 under the headline "Consider the following: Bill Nye the Science Guy to speak at UF"