In honor of Domestic Violence Awareness Month, UF scheduled a panel titled Know the Limits: Healthy Relationships, Safety and Resources to educate students on healthy relationships.

The event is free and open to the public. It will be held in Smathers Library, Room 1A, at 3 p.m today.

Isabel D. Silver, event organizer, said it’s essential for partners to “become aware when they’re crossing the line.”

UPD Sgt. Kristy Sasser, one of the event’s panelists, said people have the opportunity to ask anonymous questions.

According to the Florida Coalition Against Domestic Violence, between 22 and 25 percent of women will be victims of domestic violence.

“We want to make sure that the community is aware of this issue,” Sasser said, “and that people are aware that it is a crime that they don’t have to endure.”

Laura Templeton, a victim advocate for University Police, said domestic violence isn’t only physical but can be emotional, sexual and verbal.

Sasser said 13 cases of domestic violence, six cases of dating violence, one domestic disturbance and two dating disturbances have been reported this year.

The event sponsors are UF Smathers Libraries, University Police, the UF Counseling & Wellness Center and Peaceful Paths Domestic Abuse Network.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/16/2013 under the headline "Panel explains relationship no-no’s"