<p>Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden (right) tackles Cincinnati Bengals A.J. Green during an NFL football game in Cleveland</p>

Cleveland Browns cornerback Joe Haden (right) tackles Cincinnati Bengals A.J. Green during an NFL football game in Cleveland

With Week 5 of the NFL season in the books, we take a look at a few former Gators who made the most tangible impact for their respective teams.

Brandon Spikes, linebacker: Even without the gap-eating Vince Wilfork commanding double teams, the New England Patriots are developing a successful defense.

That would not be possible without middle linebacker Brandon Spikes.

The former All-American has seen an increased role with Wilfork sidelined due to an ACL injury.

Spikes is an excellent run defender. He understands run fits well, and with his ability to stack and shed blockers quickly and efficiently, he continues to be a force against opposing running attacks.

In 2013, Spikes has totaled 25 tackles, including two for a loss. But where he made the biggest impact on Sunday against the Bengals came in pass coverage.

Arguably his biggest knock entering the pros, Spikes has been a liability defending the pass. He is often sidelined against multiple-receiver sets in favor of New England’s nickel defense or for a more agile, coverage-friendly linebacker.

But against the Bengals, Spikes shined in coverage, intercepting his first pass of the season and adding seven total tackles as the Patriots’ defense surrendered just 13 points.

Carlos Dunlap, defensive end: New England has been touted for its play on the offensive line, but on Sunday it failed to hold against a clearly superior, aggressive Cincinnati Bengals defensive line led by Carlos Dunlap.

The Bengals put constant pressure on Tom Brady, sacking the quarterback, pressing the pocket and forcing the veteran to throw from uncomfortable angles.

But Dunlap’s impact was felt in the run game.

The 6-foot-6, 280-pound defensive end flashed great disengagement to make tackles and made urgent plays when the Bengals’ offense failed to build steady drives.

In the second quarter of Sunday’s game, Dunlap forced a fumble on a would-be scoring drive for the Patriots.

Not coincidentally, the Patriots failed to enter the end zone for the first time since a loss to the Jets in 2009.

Joe Haden, cornerback: A week after getting the best of one of the league’s premier receivers, Cincinnati’s AJ Green, Joe Haden was equally dominant during the Cleveland Browns’ win over the Buffalo Bills on Thursday night.

Buffalo’s leading receiver, Stevie Johnson, was held in check by the former Gator, catching just two passes for 19 yards before exiting the game in the second quarter with an injury.

Rookie Robert Woods was the next man up in Johnson’s absence, and Haden shadowed the Southern California standout in man-to-man on occasion.

Woods finished with five catches for 64 yards.

Haden totaled just three tackles and a pass deflection in the game but has been as suffocating as any other cornerback in the league through five games.

News and notes: Eighteen former Gators were active Week 5 of the NFL season.

A few weeks after tweaking his ankle, San Francisco 49ers linebacker Ray McDonald was dealt another blow. Playing the Texans on Sunday, the left defensive end injured his right biceps and missed the remainder of the game.

Miami Dolphins rookie kicker Caleb Sturgis missed his first field goal attempt of the season — a 57-yarder — that would have tied the game for Miami late in the fourth quarter.

Follow Chuck Kingsbury on Twitter @chuckkingsbury.