Pay-it-forward deal at Starbucks stores ends today

Today is the last day Starbucks is offering a free coffee to generous patrons.

Since Wednesday, the coffee chain has been giving free tall brewed coffees to customers who offer to buy a stranger’s drink.

Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks, posted a letter Tuesday explaining his pay-it-forward initiative online.

Jaime Riley, a Starbucks spokeswoman, said it was inspired by current problems in America and its government.

“It’s an initiative put forth to help show stability and acts of kindness,” Riley said.

Some students weren’t aware of the offer but still saw it as a nice gesture.

“I’m always all for that.” said Savannah Green, an 18-year-old UF theatre performance freshman. “I’ve had people pay for me before in Starbucks drive-thrus just as a generosity.”

Students like Diana Alarcon said it’s a way to be nice to others and not be so selfish. She said she would pay for someone’s drink, even if it was more than hers.

“I think there’s a human element to that,” said Alarcon, a 21-year-old UF industrial and systems engineering senior. “It opens communication and it promotes having compassion for the person behind you. I think that’s something we don’t get enough of — that human interaction.”

On-campus Starbucks employees were unable to comment regarding the initiative.

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/11/2013 under the headline "Pay-it-forward deal at Starbucks stores ends today"