This week, our thoughts and best wishes are with the members of the Roswell, N.M., and Tampa communities after two tragic shootings that resulted in deaths and injuries. Remember the golden rule of defending public safety as a citizen: If you see something, say something.

The weather continued its fickle behavior into this second half of January. It’s hot and humid, it’s cold and dry — it’s suddenly cold and wet? And now it’s back to windy and cold. At this point, we’re ready to trade chapped hands and runny noses back for our normal sweaty brows and sunburned shoulders. And Gainesville, what’s up with student houses that don’t have central heating?! It’s hard enough to get out of bed at the crack of dawn for classes, but in this weather? Forget about it; there’s only so much a warm laptop can do. At least the weekend — all three days of it — is upon us, and we’re free to sleep the days away from within the comfort and warmth of our respective blanket caves.

At least one thing is constant week to week: your weekly roundup of the best and the worst of the news. Here it is, this week’s

Darts and Laurels

While the rest of the country is gradually warming back up in the wake of the sudden cold snap, local farmers’ crops sustained serious damage.

We reported Thursday that North Florida farmers suffered after plants froze and fungi infections spread, which is bad news in the long run for both the hard-working farmers and ourselves. The decrease in harvest will drive local farm workers’ profits down and the prices of the foods we love up. Thanks a heap, Mother Nature.

For that, we throw an ice-cold DART to the polar vortex and its destruction of all that’s good and holy: fruits and veggies.

You may have noticed an old friend on campus this week: The free copies of The New York Times. UF Student Body President Christina Bonarrigo reinstated the newspaper program after its suspension over the summer due to an outstanding debt of about $30,000.

We’re handing off a cautionary, don’t-mess-this-up-again LAUREL to Bonarrigo for bringing back our beloved newspapers.

We also reported this week that, come Summer B, student fees will rise about $2 per credit hour. Although the increase may seem small, that’s $2 less you have to spend on worthier investments — like a slice at Leo’s or a tankard at The Midnight on Tuesdays. This is on top of the fact that Bright Futures doesn’t cover summer semesters.

This week, we toss a mo-money-mo-problems DART at the UF fees committee.

Finally, an I-love-you-and-please-don’t-ever-change LAUREL to Martin Luther King Jr., civil rights and state-sanctioned holidays.

Consider doing something productive with those extra 24 hours — or, you know, go hard on your Sunday Funday. Anything is fair game.

A version of this editorial ran on page 6 on 1/17/2014 under the headline "Darts and Laurels"