Very pleased, but not satisfied, is how coach Mike Holloway is feeling about his track and field team after two meets thus far in the indoor season.

Getting better across the board is something Holloway has stressed since the beginning of the season, and he wants both the men and women’s teams to take up on their potential.

“I talk to them all the time about the fact that potential just simply means we haven’t done anything yet,” Holloway said. “So we got to quit talking about potential on that side of the coin and really start stepping up and doing our job.”

Challenging the athletes on matching the intensity of their competitors is a quality the coaching staff has seen and is content with.

Needing the experienced members of the squad to take the responsibility of carrying the team is something Holloway doesn’t want his newcomers falling under pressure to.

With experienced athletes Eddie Lovett, and Jayla Bostic holding responsibility of carrying the unit, both have proved to perform at an exceptional level.

“Eddie understands the process, he understands that our goals get a little bit better each week,” Holloway said. “If you look at Eddie’s performances over his career here, he’s done a wonderful job of understanding that it’s not being the best in the country in the Rod McCravy, it’s about being the best guy in the country in the national championships.”

Lovett has dominated his event in both the UAB Invite and Rod McCravy Memorial with first place finishes in each meet in the men’s 60-meter hurdles.

In addition, Bostic took the women’s weight throw in two consecutive meets.

Aside from the past weekends performances, Holloway is looking ahead to some top-level athletes he has competing in their first meets of the season.

Junior jumper Marquis Dendy will open up this weekend at the Razorback Invitational on Friday with distance runners senior Mark Parish and junior Eddie Garcia.

Holloway is looking forward on how they will break out to open their indoor campaign and bring their skill on the track.

Generally Holloway understands and speaks on many of these meets being learning experiences and that his athletes need to understand that it’s a procedure.

“We’re progressing well,” Holloway said. “The big thing for us is that we have to stay focused and understand that it’s a process and we have to keep getting better every weekend.”

Follow Lawrence Laguna on Twitter @LagunaLawrence