UF making home debut at ITA Kickoff

<p>Belinda Woolcock attempts to hit the ball at the Bedford Cup at the Ring Tennis Complex on Oct. 13, 2013.</p>

Belinda Woolcock attempts to hit the ball at the Bedford Cup at the Ring Tennis Complex on Oct. 13, 2013.

The No. 2 Florida women’s tennis team begins its season as hosts of the ITA Kickoff opening rounds this Saturday at the Ring Tennis Complex.

Louisville, Missouri and Harvard will travel to Gainesville for a chance to be entered in the National Team Indoor Championships held Feb. 7-10 in Charlottesville, Va. The winner from each second-round match this weekend will advance to the national tournament.

The Gators come off the 2012-2013 season with a 26-3 (12-1 Southeastern Conference) record in which they won the SEC Championship but fell short of winning a third straight NCAA title after losing in the semifinals to Stanford.

“I really like this team,” coach Roland Thornqvist said. “I think we’ve gotten better each month and I like the depth. All seven are going to be contributing every time we play.”

The Gators are heavy favorites in their season opener against Louisville.

“We’ve been in situations like this before, at least I have,” said senior Alexandra Cercone, who spent her offseason competing in pro-circuit tournaments. “We have to be prepared though, because sometimes the underdog will come in and play very free because they have no pressure on them.”

More than half the team spent the past two weeks competing in tournaments. However, freshmen Kourtney Keegan, Stefani Stojic and Belinda Woolcock will experience their first collegiate dual match this weekend.

“Four of our seven players have already played and competed this spring and they’ve done well,” Thornqvist said. “But three of them are going to be thrown in there for the first time. The wildcards are always going be your first-year players.”

Thornqvist expects the seniors to carry the leadership role and help the three freshman, two of which are ranked in the top 40 nationally, become more comfortable on the court.

“We don’t verbalize [our goals] a lot, but it’s understood that we strive for excellence,” Cercone said. “Personally, I want to be a good leader and a good teammate, just because it helps team morale and that helps when we are playing matches.”

The team plans to replicate the success it has had in years past by relying on its talent; six players on this year’s tennis squad are ranked in the top 40 nationally. Thornqvist thinks the team’s depth will help the Gators tremendously in doubles.

“I really feel good about our doubles,” Thornqvist said. “I think we have multiple pairings at each spot that can win, which helps us. I’m excited to see them play this weekend and see if there is anything in particular we need to pay attention to in the coming weeks.”

Florida plays three doubles and six single matches against Louisville on Saturday at 10 a.m.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @ibcohen5