Sexy startups may get more funds: Men have an advantage over women, study says

Startups, by nature, grow from the ground up, but a new study suggests that perhaps the playing field isn’t level to begin with.

Research from the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences found that investors preferred business pitches by male entrepreneurs to identical pitches by female entrepreneurs. It indicated that pitches are particularly effective if presented by attractive males.

However, locals in the startup business were skeptical.

Michael Morris, program director for UF’s Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation, said he doesn’t think looks matter to entrepreneurs.

“The investment decision isn’t a knee-jerk decision,” he said. “It’s not, ‘Hey, you’re good-looking, and you’re a male, so here’s some money.’”

But the gender disparity in the business community is clear, Morris said, adding that there aren’t as many networks available for women to connect and network.

Falling into the trap of gender bias is a mistake for investors, wrote David Whitney, UF College of Engineering entrepreneur in residence, in an email.

“I invest in ‘jockeys’ not ‘horses,’ so I don’t care what the jockey looks like,” he said. “What I care about is the jockey’s experience.”

Some local women in business said they don’t see their gender as a disadvantage.

Rebecca Barborak is the founder of the painting and pottery studio Corks & Colors, which started in Santa Fe College’s Center for Innovation and Economic Development.

She said she found being a woman was an advantage because women are often “emotionally tied to a product” in ways men aren’t.

“I don’t feel like I’ve faced any sort of adversity as a female entrepreneur,” said Barborak, 29. “I don’t feel like anybody has denied me any sort of opportunity.”

Belinda Smith, another entrepreneur, said she felt the same way.

Her business, called 4W’s Network, Inc., helps women build life and career skills.

It also started at the Santa Fe incubator.

“They believed in my plan,” Smith said.

Aidan Augustin, 23-year-old co-founder and CEO of Feathr, received initial funding for the app through family, advisers and crowdfunding.

He said the tech community has been discussing the possibility of gender bias.

“It does seem that there is very clear evidence that women do have a harder time,” Augustin said.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 3/26/2014 under the headline "Sexy startups may get more funds"]