<p>Ciarra Brewer competes in the triple jump at the Southeastern Conference Outdoor Championships on May 13, 2012.</p>

Ciarra Brewer competes in the triple jump at the Southeastern Conference Outdoor Championships on May 13, 2012.

The championship taper has come again as Florida has a grand opportunity at redeeming itself on why it deserves to be No. 1.

After faltering at the NCAA Indoor Championships earlier in the season with third-place finishes on the men’s and women’s side, the Gators enter the Outdoor Championship ranked first.

What better way for Florida to get redemption when you have arguably the most elite triple jumper in the nation in Ciarra Brewer?

Brewer has demonstrated what it takes to be consistent in her time at Florida — capturing three consecutive Southeastern Conference titles — and was recognized as SEC Co-Women’s Field Athlete of the Year.

She looks to lead her top-ranked women’s team to earning more than just a podium finish.

“I don’t really care about rankings. It’s cool to see where you are at that time, but when it comes to championships or certain meets, it’s who decides to perform that day,” Brewer said.

Preaching words that come from coach Mike Holloway’s state of mind, Brewer has incorporated what her mentor has instilled on the entire team.

Brewer said when Holloway gives his team a pep-talk about rankings not meaning anything, he helps the athletes bring the pressure down and gets everyone to not worry about the ranks.

There is only one mission for the Gators, and that is being outdoor champions.

The three-day event beginning today requires the Gator athletes to finish in the top 12 in their respective events in order to proceed to Oregon for the national finals.

Top-ranked Florida qualified 37 athletes (20 women, 17 men) for prelims, and one athlete (Brittany Harrell) has already punched a ticket for finals in Eugene, Ore., that begin on June 11.

UF will take multiple star athletes from Arman Hall, Najee Glass, Dedric Dukes and Hugh Graham Jr., to throwers like Kyle Starwn on the men’s side.

For the women, mid-distance runners like Cory McGee, Agata Strausa, Ebony Eutsey and Kyra Jefferson guide both top squads.

And who can forget about the triple jump titleholder Marquis Dendy — a national champion on his own.

Two of Florida’s five national championships come from outdoor titles and the men’s team looks back at their repeat championships in 2012 and 2013 to aid for a three-peat.

But before the Gators jump ahead to the Historic Hayward Field in Oregon, they must first qualify in prelims and leave their top ranking behind them.

“Once the meet is done (nationals) that will tell you how your progress was,” Brewer said.

Follow Lawrence Laguna on Twitter @LagunaLawrence