<p>Chauncey Gardner does the Gator Chomp in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in a photo from his Twitter account (StillDat_) on June 15.</p>

Chauncey Gardner does the Gator Chomp in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in a photo from his Twitter account (StillDat_) on June 15.

Florida flipped a 2016 recruit from in-state rival Miami over the weekend. 2016 defensive back Chauncey “CJ” Gardner (5-foot-11, 190 pounds, Cocoa Beach, Fla., Cocoa High) switched his commitment to UF on Saturday afternoon. Gardner attended Saturday’s session of Will Muschamp’s football camp and was offered a scholarship by coaches while he was still on campus.

“I Would Like To Thank Miami For All The Opportunities They Presented To Me But I’m Taking My Talents To Gainesville  #CHOMP #GoGators,” Gardner posted from his Twitter account (@StillDat_) on Saturday evening.

Gardner had been verbally committed to Miami since last summer following his freshman season at Cocoa High School. With Gardner’s decommitment, the Canes are left with just one verbal commitment for their 2016 class — running back Mark Walton out of Booker T. Washington High School.

During his sophomore season, Gardner averaged just about three tackles for loss per game, snatched five interceptions and added a blocked punt that forced a safety. He doesn’t show much speed on tape, but he has very good instincts for a young safety that can make up for his lackluster wheels. Gardner has the ability to play cornerback as well.

He plays on the offensive side of the ball at Cocoa High as well. In 2013, he averaged 16 yards per reception and carried the ball 16 times for 92 yards.

As far as depth is concerned, UF is loaded within the defensive back position group. Specifically at the safety position, Florida already has a verbal commit for 2015 in Deontai Williams (6-foot-1, 185 pounds, Jacksonville, Fla., Trinity Christian Academy). Incoming freshman Quincy Wilson has the skillset to play at either cornerback or safety, and sophomore Nick Washington repped at the safety position throughout spring football but can play cornerback if needed.

Wilson’s position should be solidified during fall camp this August, but UF could see a similar situation as Jaylen Watkins, who played safety and corner throughout his career at UF.

The other two options at safety are Marcus Maye and Keanu Neal—who will both be seniors in 2016, creating some potential starting opportunities for Gardner coming in.

Gardner is the third verbal commitment for the 2016 recruiting class. He joins wide receiver Tyler Byrd (5-foot-11, 160 pounds, Naples, Fla., Naples High) and cornerback Tre Jackson (5-foot-8, 164 pounds, Baton Rouge, La., University Laboratory School).  Byrd has been committed since last June, and Jackson announced his verbal commitment last July.

The Will Muschamp football camps will continue until Wednesday, wrapping up with both the “Jr. Gator” camp for kids in Grades 2-8 and the last session of high school skill camp. The camps have proven to be an effective recruiting tool, as UF has now picked up two verbal commitments — one for each of the 2015 and 2016 classes.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty