<p>Seeking to bring their audience back to an era of swing and soul, The Savants of Soul emphasizes the visual aspects of their performance as much as the sonic aspects.</p>

Seeking to bring their audience back to an era of swing and soul, The Savants of Soul emphasizes the visual aspects of their performance as much as the sonic aspects.

Justin McKenzie, 25, asked a crowd of about 100 dancing, sweaty concertgoers at The JAM on Saturday night, “Who’s thirsty?”

While taking sips from their various pints of beer and water, the members of the audience responded, “We are!”

Sweaty or not, the audience wasn’t thirsty for beer or water.

The audience was thirsty for more horn-blaring, feet-moving music from the 10-piece, Gainesville-based soul band, The Savants of Soul, who just completed recording their first album, “Downtown Sound,” on UF’s student-operated Swamp Records label.

Though the album isn’t slated for release until October, the crowd at The JAM was singing along to many of the band’s songs, despite the fact that none of them have been released on iTunes.

McKenzie joked that the audience knew the words better than he did.

The hourlong set highlighted the personalities and energy from all of the band members, which helped sustain the audience’s interest and attention throughout the night. Drummer Alex Klausner, 24, played his drums standing up at times while chanting the songs’ choruses. 

Trombone player Matthew Rossmann slid his trombone over the head of Mandy Moo while she played her trumpet. Keyboard player Jason Bontrager passionately played his key solos, leaning to the side with one leg high in the air.

The band, one of  Swamp Records’ two artists, did it all while dressed in suits and dresses, which Klausner said is all a part of the experience of seeing the band.

“When there’s an electricity in the air and that connection between your audience, it’s a feeling unlike any other,” Klausner said. 

“The music is a vehicle for something bigger. It’s about creating an experience for people.”

He said the band tries to take the audience back to the era of soul and swing music, and dressing up for the performance helps with that.

“It’s not just about the audio, it’s about the visual experience as well,” Klausner said. “You’re not just getting an album played for you live; you’re getting an experience that supersedes what exists on a recording,” he said. “Soul music attracts all ages.”

The night ended with the audience begging the band to play an encore. The band closed with two songs, a cover of Mark Ronson’s rendition of The Zutons’ “Valerie,” and a mashup of Wilson Pickett’s “Land of a Thousand Dances” and The Ramones’ “I Wanna Be Sedated.”

Swamp Records’ head director Breana Auberry said the band’s dedication to its live performances and presence in the community already solidified Swamp Records’ interest in working with the band.

The record company will help the band with marketing the album, including helping with the band’s website, logo and potentially organizing an album release party.

“They stood out with their craft and how important their music is to them,” Auberry said.  “They’re the total package.”

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 6/11/2014 under the headline "Local band The Savants of Soul: A Swamp Records success story"]