<p>Savannah Jordan warms up prior to Florida's 3-0 win against Miami on Aug. 22 at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

Savannah Jordan warms up prior to Florida's 3-0 win against Miami on Aug. 22 at James G. Pressly Stadium.

The only way Betsy Middleton envisions her team becoming elite is if it competes against quality opponents.

That is what No. 6 Florida (4-1) will encounter in Palo Alto, Calif., with No. 4 Stanford (4-0-1) tonight at 10:30, as both teams meet after a 12-year matchless stint.

Florida has not had a problem scoring this season, but scoring against a team that has not allowed a goal this season is a new challenge.

"The better the teams we play, the better we’re going to be," Middleton said. "I’ve always thought that the only way to make myself a good player is by surrounding myself with the best players. One reason why I decided to play here and by playing a team like Stanford, all we can do is continue to get better and increase our confidence as long as we perform well in those games."

Stanford has three shutout wins against ranked opponents this season. The fourth ranked opponent the Cardinal faced this year — then-No. 25 Notre Dame — ended in a 0-0 draw.

For Florida, this will be only the second ranked opponent it will face.

But that notion does not determine the result of the match.

Rather, it creates a chance to make a statement.

"They’re good. They’re dynamic," coach Becky Burleigh said. "They play similar to us in some ways. But they’re loaded with talent. We respect what they’ve been able to do over the long haul."

Three of Stanford’s underclassmen were on the U.S. 2014 FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup roster: sophomores Stephanie Amack and Jane Campbell as well as freshman Andi Sullivan. Florida’s only representative was Savannah Jordan.

Campbell, Stanford’s goalkeeper, has not allowed a goal this season, while totaling 16 saves.

Stanford coach Paul Ratcliffe has said Campbell is regarded as one of the top young goalkeepers in the world — posing Florida with its largest offensive challenge yet.

The Cardinal is also led by scorer Chioma Ubogagu, who has netted three of the team’s six goals this season.

Stanford has an upper hand on the amount of talent on their team, but creating an all-around system over individual standouts is Florida’s game plan.

"For us it’s about what players fit us, not so much about what accolades they have," Burleigh said. "It’s just exciting to go play a quality opponent."

Although undefeated and full of national talent, the Cardinal will have to score more than its 1.2 goals-per-game average this season against the Gators.

Florida has averaged 2.4 goals per match, with eight of its players contributing a goal this season. Stanford has relied largely on Ubogagu’s offense.

UF has relied on a number of players as Jordan, Jillian Graff and Annie Speese have all managed to score multiple times.

In addition to the offense, Florida has compiled two conference offensive players of the week in Graff and midfielder Pamela Begic this season. Stanford has developed none.

But both teams possess a great offense.

When the Gators score first during a match this season, a victory has resulted.

Stanford leads the series against Florida 2-0 and when the teams last met in 2002, the Cardinal routed the Gators 4-0. For the second consecutive week, Florida will match up against a top-5 opponent.

Stanford will be a chance to erase a losing streak that has lasted more than a decade.

"We always want to try and play the best teams we can just because I think it tells us a lot about ourselves," Burleigh said. "It lets us know what we need to improve on or what we’re doing well."

Follow Lawrence Laguna on Twitter @LagunaLawrence