NEWS  |  SFC

Jazz Ambassadors US Army Field Band performs at Phillips

<p class="p1">Jazz Ambassadors of the U.S. Army Field Band perform Tuesday night in the Phillips Center.</p>

Jazz Ambassadors of the U.S. Army Field Band perform Tuesday night in the Phillips Center.

Sgt. Maj. Kevin Watt started playing the trumpet 41 years ago.  He now performs with the Jazz Ambassadors U.S. Army Field Band. 

Watt performed at the Curtis M. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts Tuesday night with the Jazz Ambassadors U.S. Army Field Band.

The official touring big band of the U.S. Army showcased its eclectic repertoire, including big band swing and contemporary jazz, to a packed theater.

“We always have a great audience in Gainesville,” Watt said.

Jazz listeners ranging from students to elderly couples made it through the evening rain and attended the free show.

“My cousin is a part of the Marine Corps, but that’s not the only reason I came,” said Giselle Zamorano, a 32-year-old Santa Fe College third-year entrepreneurship student. “I just love jazz, especially the wind instruments.”

Formed in 1969, the jazz ensemble has performed in all 50 states and in international jazz festivals.

The 90-minute performance Tuesday included patriotic pieces like “God Bless the USA” and ended with a salute to all veterans and their family members.

“I have toured with other groups outside the Army in the past, but never with such a singular vision of performing for the American public,” said band guitarist Staff Sgt. Jonathan Epley.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 9/10/2014 under the headline "Jazz Ambassadors US Army Field Band performs at Phillips"]