Swamp of love: What not to do on a first date

In today’s dating culture, common practice is to talk (usually text) someone for a few days, or even weeks, before you even start going on actual dates. 

First date (copy)

Although this can be pretty beneficial because you get to know the person a little before you have to spend an entire night in public with them (we all know those people who say obnoxious jokes or have a tendency to really disrespect others without knowing they’re doing it), it has also broken down that wall we have up until we become comfortable with someone.

Suddenly, dates aren’t as sacred as they used to be. Well people, here’s how you can bring that back into your dating life.

One of the biggest changes I’ve noticed is that no one keeps their personal thoughts to themselves anymore. Your views of gay marriage or abortion should never be brought up on a first date. You two are there to get to know each other, not get married, you get me?

Another thing, stop burping in front of your date! This goes for girls and guys. Unless you’re totally into burping, which hey, I respect diversity.

Burping just creates a super awkward situation, especially for those who think it’s gross. If you’re still going on dates with the same person two months from now, sure go for it. Until then, be a sensible person and excuse yourself. 

While we’re talking about mannerisms, if you’re going to ask someone to do something, have a plan in mind. One of my biggest pet peeves is when a guy asks me out and says, “Well, what do you want to do?”

Gee, I should have thought about this. Somehow I should have predicted that you were going to ask me out, so I could make plans for the date you are taking me on. I can’t. No puedo.

So there it is friends. Truthfully, if you’re a respectful person, you won’t have a problem. Best of luck to you on your next first date, I’m sure your future love is on his or her way!