Now that’s justice: 5 socially responsible advertisements

<p>"<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/60372055@N08/5677353297/in/photolist-9DFVkF-M3XLY-8SuzW3-LaadC-8SuzYL-8SuzLG-8Srv1p-8SruL8-8SruUR-8SuzHS-8SuA3S-cCGJ5s-izauZ4-8X7KCe-6CHJJ-zjLBw-MuvU1-u4GNg-56ck4w-MN8ig-MbiFz-56ZjGs-6uFmMk-cCGHp9-cCGHHb-8W61nd-8W61iS-6kptng-8SuzRQ-szXtH-cCGxRb-cCGDX9-cCGwnj-cCGENo-cCGAmL-cCGxjE-cCGKms-cCGL19-cCGyaQ-cCGKF7-cCGLrj-cCGLeW-cCGFhY-cCGD3S-cCGz9s-cCGGow-cCGFDm-cCGzuS-cCGG3L-cCGCeA" target="_blank">Feminism or Vandalism?</a>" by <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/60372055@N08/" target="_blank">mbf2012</a>, used under <a href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/" target="_blank">CC BY-NC-ND 2.0</a></p>

"Feminism or Vandalism?" by mbf2012, used under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Commercial advertisements can be annoying, but most of us now have that handy-dandy thing called Netflix for all of our TV needs. However, avoiding advertisements during day-to day activities through other digital media is impossible, and we all still have our favorites.

Every so often a TV advertisement manages to go beyond the usual blasé and surface-level attention-grabbing tropes. Many large, successful companies have decided to use their powerful advertising positions to show corporate social responsibility. These advertisements are insightful and help generate awareness and support for important social movements of our society.

Here are a five of my favorite socially responsible advertisements:

1. Dove’s “Real Beauty Sketches.”

This commercial encourages women everywhere to realize their own beauty by the way they describe their own appearance compared to the way someone else describes them. Simple and touching, the advertisement reminds us to go a little easier on ourselves and our appearance.

2. General Mills's Cheerios commercial 

Although intended for Canadian audiences, (the couple is from Quebec) the advertisement appeals to all audiences with its direct approach and its heartfelt message; family is family, no matter what prejudices are stacked against it. Bonus: the couple’s daughter is completely adorable.

3. Chipotle’s “The Scarecrow.”

The commercial is a sobering, mournful animated story about a scarecrow who works in a factory for a food company and realizes the horrible environmental damages the company is causing as well as the atrocious conditions company animals live in. The overall message of what happens to your food before you eat it and the importance of protecting our environment is loud and clear.

4. Pantene’s “Labels against Women.”

This advertisement breaks through gender roles to champion the strength of women. The advertisement reminds women they can do anything men can do and encourages them to take control of their lives.

5. Mimi Foundation’s “If Only for a Second.”

The advertisement is a tear-jerking story of giving terminally ill cancer patients a chance to see themselves as they lived when they were healthy. The ad shows powerful joys and sorrows of humanity through the expressions of the cancer patients when they look in the mirror for the first time.