Pulitzer Prize winner talks about America

Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist and author Hedrick Smith stopped by Pugh Hall on Wednesday night to talk about the state of America.

During his presentation, Smith advocated for people to get involved in social and political changes in America.

He also presented his ideas about how to fix the problems of income inequality and partisan gridlock. The solution to these issues, Smith said, is for the citizens to take action.  

When the middle class makes more money, there is higher demand, which creates more growth, he said.

“We’re pursuing an economic strategy today that is not only hurting the middle class — 70 to 80 percent of Americans — but it’s hurting the whole economy,” Smith said.  

Throughout his speech, he suggested Americans need to invest in young people and make college education more affordable for students.

After the presentation, the audience could ask questions, and Smith took time to sign copies of his book.

David Bell, a political science graduate student, attended Smith’s presentation to have a book signed for a friend.  He said he was not familiar with Smith’s work as a journalist or author prior to the event.  

Bell, 25, said Smith’s comments were insightful, and he is interested in reading more of Smith’s work.

At the end of the night, he signed copies of his book “Who Stole The American Dream?”