Reverend steps in for scheduled speaker

<p class="p1"><span class="s1">The Rev. Steven Baines speaks about the separation of church and state at 6 p.m. Monday in Pugh Hall. Baines is the religious outreach director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.</span></p>

The Rev. Steven Baines speaks about the separation of church and state at 6 p.m. Monday in Pugh Hall. Baines is the religious outreach director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

Through a little divine intervention, the Rev. Steven Baines arrived at Pugh Hall on Monday evening to present a discussion on religious liberty. 

At the event titled “Religious Liberty: What it Really Means,” Baines stood in for Barry Lynn, the executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, who could not attend due to a health crisis. 

During his presentation, Baines spoke about the freedom to choose not to worship any deity.  

“I can’t think of anything that would destroy religious freedom in our country more than turning our houses of worship into super political action committees,” said Baines, the Americans United for Separation of Church and State assistant field director and religious outreach director. 

Baines said Americans United was recently involved in the Supreme Court case where it was ruled that the owners of “Hobby Lobby” would not have to pay for their employees’ contraceptives under religious freedom.

“This, to me, is probably the most egregious Supreme Court decision I have seen in my lifetime,” Baines said.

Baines said it is unfair for employers to trample on the rights of women.

Baines’ presentation continued with comments on marriage equality. Baines said marriage equality is the biggest debate in America on all sides of the spectrum. 

“Marriage in America is a civil institution,” Baines said, emphasizing that marriage is regulated by the state.

Baines shared stories of religious leaders who refused to marry interracial or interfaith couples. 

“That is the freedom of religion that I do not agree with,” Baines said.

Jenna Goldman, a 21-year-old political science and history senior, attended Baines’ speech because she said she was interested in the topic. 

“I’m Jewish and was always the only Jewish kid in school, so this has always affected me, especially prayer in school and feeling very alienated, so this is something I’ve always been interested in,” Goldman said.

Attendees could ask questions toward the end of the presentation. 

Kenneth D. Wald, a UF professor of political science, said Baines did a great job of explaining why separation of church and state is good for religious liberty.

“Very many people sort of assume if you want to keep religion, you know, out of state you’re somehow hostile toward religion,” Wald said. “And I think what he showed is if you respect religion, it’s best if it is kept out of the state, preserving the freedom of individuals to believe and say what they want.”