UFitness: 10 last-minute fitness-inspired Halloween costumes

The streets of Gainesville will fill with people donning a variety of getups tonight – naughty kittens, fierce superheroes and Disney favorites – but we all know buying these cute costumes can get pricey.

Instead of spending big bucks, try mixing and matching gear you already have in your closet to create one of these fun, cheap fitness-inspired costumes.

1. Richard Simmons

Dressing up as this colorful character will have you “Sweatin’ to the Oldies” all night. Grab some short workout shorts, a matching tank top, a curly brown ‘fro wig, white socks and white sneakers to transform into this simply splendid fitness icon. For a real treat, walk around with a boom box on your shoulder blasting ‘50s aerobics hits.

2. A boxer

Whether you rock a sports bra or a robe and satin shorts or sweat pants, just lace up a pair of boxing gloves to take a jab at this easy look. To make this costume a real hit, use black eye shadow or face paint to create a black eye.

3. The Karate Kid

Throw on an old, white karate or martial arts uniform and add your name to the list after Ralph Macchio and Jaden Smith as the next Karate Kid. You can most likely find one of these at a local thrift shop or Goodwill because people tend to give them away after a while.

4. Michael Phelps

Your favorite Olympic swimmer (or perhaps second favorite for all you diehard Gators fans who love Ryan Lochte) is perhaps one of the easiest to replicate. Put on a swim cap, goggles, swim trunks (or a speedo) and a bunch of plastic gold medals, and you’ve nailed it. Add an American flag somewhere to authenticate the look.

5. The Fab Five

If you’re planning on dressing up with a group of friends, this idea works perfectly. All you need are matching leotards, ponytails, plastic gold medals and sprinkles of glitter!

6. A referee

If you don’t already own a black and white vertically striped shirt, you can find an inexpensive one in almost any store.  Pair it with black shorts, sneakers and a whistle to become an official arbitrator. Stick a yellow flag in your pocket, and throw it around every time you spot a party foul – just for a good laugh!

7. No. 1 sports fan

For all you hardcore fanatics of a specific team, this costume will be a piece of cake. From hats and face tattoos to jerseys, shorts, socks and even slippers, deck out from head to toe in all said sports gear. Wear everything you own to support this team and show that you’re their No. 1 fan!

8. Tough Mudder participant

Have a great time getting down and dirty without actually having to struggle through any obstacle courses. Simply grab some old workout gear, throw on a paper with a contestant number on it, as if you’re a race participant, and mess it up with some mud.

9. Forrest Gump running Costume

Everyone loves Tom Hanks and his role in this iconic movie. Throw on a yellow T-shirt, red shorts, white socks and running shoes from your closet to recreate Gump’s marathon-run movie look. Find a ridiculously brown, hairy beard and wig to complete this costume that’ll have everyone telling you to run, Forrest, run!

10. Tim Tebow

No. 15 Gators jersey. Black sports face paint. John 3:16. Enough said.