Monday, April 29, 2024

Trophy Hunting: American Music Awards Brings Big Performances (and Bigger Booties)

Dancing bears! Snow-covered mountain tops! A children’s choir singing “Let It Go” in perfect harmony! None of those things were featured in this year’s American Music Awards, but the actual performances and big-name acts were just as eye catching. (And hey, there was the occasional politically twinged joke from the show’s host, Mr. Worldwide. I mean, Mr. Dale. I mean, Pitbull.)

Taylor Swift kicked the show off with “Blank Space,” the latest single from her smash album “1989.”  She recreated the music video for the song, in which she portrays a crazed girlfriend wreaking havoc in a swanky mansion. Based off of the rampant rumors that the majority of the album is about her ex-boyfriend, One Direction’s Harry Styles, am I the only one who was expecting (and was slightly disappointed when it didn’t come) a crowd shot of said ex after the number ended?

Styles and his mates didn’t spend a lot of time off camera; in fact, the British fivesome took home three awards, including Favorite Band/Duo/Group (Pop-Rock), Favorite Album (Pop-Rock) and Artist of the Year. The group also performed their latest single “Night Changes” off of their fourth album, aptly titled “Four.”

Following the evening’s apparent trend of bringing music videos to life on stage, Charli XCX showcased a hellish prom-themed set with “Boom Clap” and “Break The Rules,” featuring dancers who looked like what the members of KISS would look like as dominatrixes. Later, Jennifer Lopez and her big booty shook the stage with, what else? “Booty” – and Iggy Azalea, in all of her 80s aerobicise clothes glory, also joined her in the derriere demonstration.  

Iggy also took home the trophies for Favorite Artist and Album in the Rap-Hip-Hop categories, besting the likes of Drake and Eminem. On her win, she remarked that the genre inspired her to move from Australia to America and pursue her dreams.

Some of the night’s biggest acts included Ariana Grande and her jazz-ballad renditions of “Problem” and “Break Free” seguing into “Love Me Harder,” her monster duet with The Weeknd. She also teamed up with the other two members of the “Bang Bang” trio, Jessie J and Nicki Minaj, for the umpteenth (but still fantastic) performance of one of the summer’s biggest hits.

Sam Smith also delivered a powerful performance of “I’m Not The Only One,” with A$AP Rocky joining him for the remix. Smith won the award for Favorite Male Artist (Pop/Rock) over John Legend and Pharrell Williams.

In one of the night’s most intriguing performances, Lorde Lorde-ed her way around the stage with “Yellow Flicker Beat” from the Mockingjay Part 1 soundtrack. Cue the gratuitous T. Swift crowd-dancing shot and you’ve got the standard award show routine.

With the AMA’s officially wrapped, the Trophy Hunting season has only just begun. Stay tuned for the year’s biggest names, flicks and tracks in the coming weeks. Got any comments? Tweet @AlyssaVHolcomb and share all things award season!