UF construction of Reitz, residence halls still in progress

The new year is bringing new buildings and new projects to UF.

First on the agenda is Cypress Hall, a new residence hall, which is on track to be completed and open by Fall 2015, wrote Sharon Blansett, assistant to the associate vice president for student affairs, in an email.

Cypress Hall will be on the corner of Southwest 13th Street and Museum Road and will include a floor specifically designed to accommodate students and visitors with disabilities.

Blansett said UF Department of Housing and Residence Education is in a public-private partnership with Signet Enterprises to construct another residence hall.

Infinity Hall will be used to house Innovation Academy students and will be located in the Innovation Square in downtown Gainesville.

“This facility is also on track to be completed and open by Fall 2015,” Blansett said.

The major construction campaign for UF is the Reitz Union, which is predicted to be completed in Fall 2015.

As opposed to the summer, there have not been as many noise complaints from guests, said Reitz Union Hotel guest services coordinator Lorna Bouret.   

“It hasn’t been an issue since the summer,” she said.

Renovations to the Stephen C. O’Connell Center will begin in March and end in December of 2015, according to Alligator archives. This change will send Spring graduation ceremonies to Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 1/7/2015 under the headline "UF construction of Reitz, residence halls still in progress"]