Eran del Castillo scoured the Internet looking for fun facts to test UF’s aspiring engineers in preparation for Engineers’ Week.

Four teams qualified and competed in UF’s Engineering Knowledge Bowl, which kicked off the week on Monday. 

The UF Quiz Bowl team came out victorious as the first non-STEM organization to win the campus competition that tested students in punny engineering categories such as, “It’s not rocket science, it’s math.”

The week will showcase five more main events, including the Engineering Leadership Forum today, Engineering Fest on Saturday and the Engineering Fair on Monday and Tuesday. There will also be several smaller events throughout campus until the closing ceremony Feb. 26. 

These events are meant to highlight student involvement opportunities both inside and outside the College of Engineering.

“My favorite part is being able to un-isolate ourselves from our little bubble that is engineering,” del Castillo said. “(Engineers’ Week is) a celebration of what engineers do.”

Del Castillo said students will meet with representatives from companies such as Dow Chemical to learn about them, ask questions and network during the Engineering Forum.

The week will be less serious during Engineering Fest, which will turn Norman Field into a carnival-like atmosphere with inflatables, fair food and music. 

Kelly Hallisey, president of the Benton Engineering Council, said the biggest event is the Engineering Fair, which is open to elementary, middle and high school students.

The 21-year-old nuclear engineering senior said organizations within the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields are eager to use this event to reach out to younger students and get them excited for higher education.

More information about Engineers’ Week events can be found at ufbec.org.

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 2/18/2015 under the headline “Engineers’ Week highlights opportunities for students"]