Heart health not just 1-month concern for Alachua association

Krista Cornell first realized the importance of heart health when her son was diagnosed with a heart defect at birth.

Now the regional director for the Alachua County American Heart Association, Cornell said her family was healthy to begin with, but her son’s diagnosis changed her lifestyle and made her want to help others.

This month, the association celebrates Heart Month, aimed at raising awareness for cardiovascular disease, which is the No. 1 killer of men and women in the United States.

Though the month may be filled with heart-shaped Cheerios promising to lower cholesterol and red-dress pins for the association’s Go Red for Women campaign, UF Health cardiologist Dr. C. Richard Conti said there should be constant awareness of the issue.

“The message should get across 12 out of 12 months,” Conti said.

While the effects of heart disease are often seen later in life, Conti said there are a number of changes people of any age can make to their daily routines to decrease their risk.

Another important focus group of Heart Month is women, who are particularly susceptible to heart disease. 

Conti said one of the largest issues affecting college-age women is smoking while taking contraceptives, which sharply increases the risk of blood clots in coronary arteries.

Another issue to be aware of is premature heart disease, which Conti said is relatively uncommon but often passed down from family members. Knowing family history is key to getting ahead, Conti said.

“You can’t alter your history,” Conti said, “But you can alter your circumstances.”

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 2/5/2015 under the headline “Heart health not just 1-month concern for county association"]