Rave on with Kristian Nairn aka Hodor from ‘Game of Thrones’ tonight

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-c9ae3354-a04d-1533-d6e5-fbad919377e9"><span>Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor on “Game of Thrones,” will perform a live DJ set at Simon’s Night Club downtown tonight at 10 p.m.</span></span></p>

Kristian Nairn, who plays Hodor on “Game of Thrones,” will perform a live DJ set at Simon’s Night Club downtown tonight at 10 p.m.

You probably recognize Kristian Nairn as Hodor from “Game of Thrones,” but you probably didn’t know he moonlights as a DJ and electronic music producer. Whether you’re a fan of his acting or his musical abilities, Hodor fans can rejoice: Nairn is in Gainesville tonight for Rave of Thrones, a live DJ set starting at 10 p.m. at Simon’s Night Club downtown at 8 S. Main St. 

General admission tickets are $15 plus fees on EventBrite. VIP tickets are $25 plus fees and you must be 18 and up. 

Nairn spoke to the Avenue about his start as a DJ and how he balances his music and acting career. 

What do you like about performing in college towns like Gainesville? 

Anywhere I go in the world that has a high student population almost always guarantees a great gig! Students bring such amazing raucous energy… it’s almost tangible! I always look forward to them, and this is no exception.

When did you become interested in making music? 

I really can’t remember. It goes that far back. I can’t remember my life when I didn’t have music in it, and when I wasn’t a part of making a sound. I’ve recently been working on my own productions in the studio and I can’t explain how excited I am. It’s the first time I feel I’ve really been able to put together the exact sound and vibe I wanted to.

What kind of music did you listen to growing up? What do you listen to now? 

As a child I listened to classical and pop… moving into rock and heavy metal as a teenager and then finally into dance in my late teens and 20s ‘til now. I listen to a lot of the stuff from the past.  I’m very into electronic, synth based music. I love artists like Jean Michel Jarre, Lindstrom, Todd Terje, Vector Lovers, Nathan Fake… I could go on all day!

How did you get into acting from music, or vice versa? 

I never planned anything. I never let go of my dream, but I didn’t strangle it, and I let it evolve over the years. I think that’s just as important as not letting go. I always knew something would happen at some point, but I wasn’t sure how… So I just continued working and working in different ways. Truth be told, I still haven’t finished… I have quite a way to go before I’m done!

Many people know you as Hodor from “Game of Thrones.” How do you balance your acting career with your music career? 

A lot of people ask that, but truth be told, its not very difficult.  Nine out of 10 times an acting gig would take priority, but that’s changed of late, too.  I’m just prepared to be busy all the time and be prepared to give up quite a lot of my life. However, the pros definitely outweigh the cons!

[A version of this story ran on page 7 on 2/19/2015 under the headline “Rave on with Kristian Nairn aka Hodor from ‘Game of Thrones’ tonight"]