Now that it’s Hollywood downtime, I’ve been thinking about the new trajectory of the “X-men” films.

We certainly have a lot to play with since Bryan Singer rebooted the franchise with “Days of Future Past” securing the characters’ future, undoing the horror of “The Last Stand.”

The next traditional X-Men film released will be Singer’s “X Men: Apocalypse” in May 2016. Sirs Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan will not be returning, instead passing the baton to Xavier and Magneto’s younger counterparts, James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender.

Joining the young Beast and Mystique will be Alexandra Shipp as Storm, Tye Sheridan as Cyclops, Kodi Smit-McPhee as Nightcrawler and Sophie Turner as Jean Gray. The new casting could be tricky, but has potential to wrap things together nicely.  

Just a few days ago, Hugh Jackman posted a picture of his famous Wolverine-clawed fist, captioned “one last time.” He has not confirmed as of this writing, but the assumption is that Jackman’s last role will be in a sequel to “The Wolverine.” He’s donned the claws six times now, and signaled many times that he may stop. But he’s also said that he plans to play Logan “until he dies.”

On a slightly tangential note: the Internet did something wonderful and put Fox in a strong enough death-grip that they’re actually making a Deadpool movie. It’s started filming already, starring Ryan Reynolds as the antihero. The movie’s twitter account has 30,000 followers and is only following one: the official Hello Kitty account. Their first and only tweet was the promo image used with this article.

If you ask me they’re already doing it right.

Fans of the movie universe don’t have much to go on right now, but the trickles grow stronger as production goes on. “Deadpool” is filming now, so we can expect live updates there. The kids in “Apocalypse” have begun fight training.  And of course, Jackman is always excited to share thoughts on Logan’s future with fans. In barely over a year we’ll have a new film. In the mean time, the endless comics and speculation should keep us content.