Diarrhea Planet to bring back intense performance at High Dive on Sunday night

Diarrhea Planet
Diarrhea Planet

Those who missed Diarrhea Planet’s last performance in Gainesville will get another chance to see the band’s high-energy act this weekend.

“If the crowd is having fun, we’re having fun,” said Mike Boyle, the band’s bassist.

The Nashville-based punk rock band will perform at High Dive, located at 210 SW Second Ave., Sunday night. Doors will open at 8 p.m., and the show will kick off at 8:30 p.m. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $10 or in advance for $8 on ticketweb.com, Hear Again Music and Movies or at High Dive.

Formed in 2009, the band released its first full-length album, “Loose Jewels,” in 2011. In 2013, the band released its second full-length album, “I’m Rich Beyond Your Wildest Dreams,” and they performed in festivals like the Hangout Music Festival and Bonnaroo in 2014.

The band’s four different guitar players may have something to do with the extreme intensity of rock ‘n’ roll that Diarrhea Planet brings to its crowds. Boyle said each guitar player brings something different that helps piece a song together in diverse ways.

“I think that part of it is just the volume of the four guitars,” Boyle said. “We just have a lot of power.”

Another element that gives the band its ability to leave people in a whirlwind of rock is its live performances.    

“I would just say it’s the energy,” Boyle said. “We are all having as much fun as anyone at the show.”

Pat Lavery, the owner of music promotional company Glory Days Presents, wrote in an email he expects a large turnout. 

“They are a multifaceted punk band that brings a fun, party atmosphere,” Lavery. “They aren’t afraid to cover a band like Third Eye Blind in the middle of a set of fast paced originalism.”

Boyle described the band’s music as loud guitar rock he hopes will make people smile. He said the band appeals to all ages, ranging from people in their mid-20s to people in their mid-40s.

“It seems like different kinds of people come out as well,” Boyle said.

The audience at Sunday’s show can expect to hear some of the band’s greatest hits such as “Platinum Girls” and “Heat Wave.”             

Boyle said if there was any character the band could symbolize, it would be a monster.

“Maybe, like, some sort of monster that is actually very friendly.” Boyle said. “That seems kind of scary but is actually just like kind of fun to hang out with.”