Offensive lineman Rod Johnson's injury could be more serious than anticipated

Right tackle Roderick Johnson suffered a neck injury during Florida’s spring football season that could potentially threaten his chances of playing this fall.

Johnson was first reported with a neck injury earlier last week.

On Saturday afternoon following the Orange and Blue Debut, head coach Jim McElwain expressed major concerns with  the offensive lineman’s injury. The staff will know the final verdict on Monday.

“Yeah we actually should get the final doc probably on Monday there. Doesn’t look great.” McElwain said.  

On Monday of last week, McElwain described it as an injury that caused a loss of sensation in his fingers.

“He got banged up and kind of felt you know his fingers kind of went numb and you know kind of stinger-ish type of deal,” McElwain said on Monday.

Florida’s healthy scholarship offensive lineman count went down to six with Johnson’s injury last week.

Johnson played in all 12 games last season as a true freshman, and started at right tackle in three games.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty