Public Safety Committee talks underage drinking, crime prevention, safety

Gainesville’s Public Safety Committee brainstormed solutions to fund a crime-prevention program, reduce underage drinking and improve the safety of Gainesville residents during Tuesday’s meeting.

Executive Lt. Bruce Giles, district one commander, proposed options to combat underage drinking, including an underage prohibition ordinance.

Under the ordinance, only bars with a special permit would be allowed to host patrons under 21. Underage customers would also have to leave the establishment by 10 p.m.

If multiple alcohol-related arrests were made at a certain bar, then it would lose its permit for the next quarter, Giles said.

The original ordinance was found to be unenforceable in court, and it would need improvements to pass in the future.

Giles said the goal is to hold bar owners accountable and to help people who are incapable of making good decisions.

He also suggested a partnership with UF and Santa Fe College in which violators would be referred to Student Judicial Affairs instead of being arrested like they may be now. 

Commissioner Helen Warren said the key is finding a solution that will not cause businesses to lose money while holding everyone accountable.

She said the topic is too important to rush, and the committee will discuss it at a later meeting. 

Earlier in the meeting, Michael Buchanan, a UF Student Government senator, outlined his concerns about Gainesville’s nighttime visibility and crosswalk safety.

Recent deaths of pedestrians hit by cars, including that of Shannon Michelle Lynn Justus on Friday and UF student Jerry G. Declasse on Jan. 9, were mentioned. 

Buchanan said students are starting to live farther away from campus as the city expands, and people who walk from home are at risk of getting hit while crossing the road. He hopes more lit crosswalks in high-traffic areas will improve the safety of students and faculty around UF’s campus. 

Warren and Buchanan said jaywalking in Gainesville should also be considered. 

“It just frightens me when I see the way they step off the curb as if they’re on a magic carpet and traffic is going to stop for them,” Warren said.

They are considering adding lights to crosswalks, which include rectangular rapid flashing beacons and high-intensity activated crosswalks. 

The beacons cost $37,000 for each installation, and the high-intensity crosswalks cost $150,000, according to a city report from 2013.

The committee also discussed bright, energy-efficient LED light bulbs and trimming trees that block existing light.

A proposed collaboration between the city, students and police will target dangerous areas and find ways to fund possible projects. The discussion will continue at the next meeting.

Alligator Staff Writer Hunter Williamson contributed to this report. 

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 4/8/2015 under the headline “City safety committee discusses underage drinking, pedestrians”]