<p>Lucy Morgan, a reporter for the Tampa Bay Times, was honored by the Bob Graham Center. </p>

Lucy Morgan, a reporter for the Tampa Bay Times, was honored by the Bob Graham Center. 

Lucy Morgan is the Bob Graham Center Florida Citizen of the Year, but she still doesn’t know how.

“I had no idea my name might be floating around there,” she said.

Morgan, a Tampa Bay Times reporter since 1968, was named the center’s Citizen of the Year for 2015. She’s the third person honored.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist said she is humbled. She will be honored at a ceremony on May 20 in Jacksonville.

David Colburn, the director of the Graham Center, said she likely earned the title for her efforts to increase government transparency.

Citizen of the Year was formed to recognize someone who made a significant contribution to the state’s wellbeing. The decision was made by a three-person committee independent of the center and UF.

“She’s an extraordinary reporter,” Colburn said. “Her work on behalf of the Sunshine Law and making sure citizens know what’s going on — it’s pretty amazing.”

Morgan said she’s tried to end the shut-out of governmental access through articles, columns and the occasional speech for 45 years.

“Transparency begins at the level of governor” she said, “and it won’t change if we keep going at this rate.”