UF-based non-profit awards first scholarship to student with MS

<p>Michael Brown (left), a 22-year-old UF nutritional science senior who has multiple sclerosis, receives a certificate for a $1,500 scholarship from David Nassau, the 20-year-old co-founder of Hopping 4 A Cure, a non-profit dedicated to raising money for MS research. Gainesville residents eligible for the scholarship must be affected by or diagnosed with MS.</p>

Michael Brown (left), a 22-year-old UF nutritional science senior who has multiple sclerosis, receives a certificate for a $1,500 scholarship from David Nassau, the 20-year-old co-founder of Hopping 4 A Cure, a non-profit dedicated to raising money for MS research. Gainesville residents eligible for the scholarship must be affected by or diagnosed with MS.

A UF student plans to use his new scholarship to further his education and help others suffering with chronic illnesses. 

UF’s chapter of Hopping 4 A Cure, a nonprofit dedicated to raising money for multiple sclerosis research, awarded its first $1,500 scholarship Friday night to Michael Brown, a UF senior with multiple sclerosis.

Brown, a nutritional science student, said he was speechless when he received the award. He was one of the top three scholarship applicants invited to attend the organization’s banquet.

“I think (H4AC) makes a difference in that it gives people that are affected by multiple sclerosis hope,” Brown, 22, said.

Brown said he would likely use the scholarship money to apply to massage and physical therapy graduate programs. 

“I just want to give back to the community in a way that I may have a slight advantage in, since I have MS myself,” Brown said.

Brown is the founder of Chronic Gators, an organization advocating for students and families affected by chronic illnesses. He heard about the scholarship from H4AC founder David Nassau, a UF marketing junior.

Gainesville residents must be affected by or diagnosed with MS to be eligible for the scholarship.

“Who we picked wasn’t necessarily who had MS, but what they are doing as a result of being affected by it,” Nassau said.

Nassau and Gary Wexler started the organization in 2011 as high school students. Nassau said in a speech that it began when he and Wexler “suited up” — a joke stemming from his favorite show, “How I Met Your Mother” — and pretended to be on their high school’s varsity hopscotch team. 

Nassau, 20, said the joke led them to create the nonprofit, which would focus on MS for Nassau’s father, who was diagnosed in 2003.

Since the group’s inception four years ago, the organization has raised close to $30,000 through hopscotch tournaments and fundraisers at restaurants and venues. The organization will host a benefit concert at The Jam next Thursday.

“Hopping 4 A Cure has a defined market in the MS community, where we can be the voice for younger people who have or are affected by MS,” Nassau said.

Nassau said he hopes to hold a large-scale hopscotch tournament in Gainesville and expand to another university. A chapter of the group already expanded to Florida State University this Spring. 

“I just hope that people try to feed off of this energy,” Brown said. “Kind of like how I did with Chronic Gators, and just give back.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 - 4 on 4/6/2015 under the headline “UF nonprofit awards 1st scholarship”]

Correction: The original story incorrectly stated, "The organization will host a benefit concert at The Jam on Thursday." It should have stated "next Thursday, April 16."