UF BLSA wins chapter of the year for third consecutive year

<p>Members of the Black Law Students Association pose for a photo after the UF organization won Regional Chapter of the Year for the third consecutive year. “I personally look forward to continuing that legacy and continuing to make our chapter even better,” said Candace Spencer, a first-year UF law student who will start her term as BLSA president on Friday.</p>

Members of the Black Law Students Association pose for a photo after the UF organization won Regional Chapter of the Year for the third consecutive year. “I personally look forward to continuing that legacy and continuing to make our chapter even better,” said Candace Spencer, a first-year UF law student who will start her term as BLSA president on Friday.

With each recognition, the Black Law Students Association continues to grow.

The UF organization reclaimed its title as Regional Chapter of the Year for the third consecutive year, but this time in the large chapter category.

Brian Lawrence, BLSA president and a second-year UF law student, said the southern region is the national BLSA’s most competitive region because of its many active members.

It jumped from small chapter of the year in 2013 to medium chapter of the year in 2014. It also won the national title in 2013, when there were only about 20 members, Lawrence, 24, said.

“I think for the last three years, at least, the southern region has won region of the year,” he said.

The chapters are evaluated on their commitment to community service, alumni outreach and support of pre-law students. They should also have a focus on specific initiatives, like AIDS awareness.

W. George Allen, the first African-American student to graduate from the UF Levin College of Law, returned to the university Friday night to speak to members of BLSA and the Josiah T. Walls Bar Association about his civil rights efforts through law school. 

UF’s BLSA chapter is named after Allen, who congratulated the members on winning Regional Chapter of the Year yet again. 

Lawrence presented Allen with the Trailblazer Award to honor him for paving the way for black law students today.

Lawrence said BLSA at UF hasn’t historically been the strongest. Having a strong chapter is even more important with UF’s increased minority enrollment, he said.

Candace Spencer, a first-year UF law student, said there are now more than 70 members in the chapter at UF. She said as the chapter has grown each year, it has become more active in the community.

The 23-year-old will start her term as president of BLSA on Friday.

“I personally look forward to continuing that legacy and continuing to make our chapter even better,” she said.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 4/1/2015 under the headline “UF BLSA wins chapter of the year for third consecutive year”]