Humans vs. Zombies president not returning to UF

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-2e1bdb61-68e1-f9ff-17f0-f0e8cefa4523"><span>Nick Mullen, 12, chucks a sock at a zombie during a Humans vs. Zombies mini-mission for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals on the North Lawn on Saturday. Mullen was born with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and has been treated at UF Health Children’s Hospital, where his mother, Jodi, is a pediatric nurse.</span></span></p>

Nick Mullen, 12, chucks a sock at a zombie during a Humans vs. Zombies mini-mission for Children's Miracle Network Hospitals on the North Lawn on Saturday. Mullen was born with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and has been treated at UF Health Children’s Hospital, where his mother, Jodi, is a pediatric nurse.

After spending countless hours fighting the undead, the moderators of Gators Humans vs. Zombies are certainly not going to let any obstacle stand in the way of planning yet another successful mission.

Darby Guyn, a UF junior and vice president of Humans vs. Zombies, said the organization faced an issue when it was announced that Alex Pinchin, the group’s president, would not be returning to UF for his final semester.

Guyn, 19, said the group appointed an interim president for the remainder of the Summer. She said that because of the way the group’s constitution is written, she will likely be the president in the Fall.

Despite the confusion over the presidency, Guyn said the moderators have plenty planned for the Summer, highlighted by a full five-day game July 22 through 26.

“We’re going to be trying during the Summer game to see what we can do that’s fun and exciting for Fall,” Guyn said.

Juan Oleas, a 23-year-old senior and interim president for Human vs. Zombies, said the Summer game will be a “monster mashup,” making it unlike past games.

Oleas said the moderators are encouraging players to dress up in a classic horror movie theme, such as characters like Dracula and the Creature from the Black Lagoon.

“I hope it’s pretty immersive for the players because they tend to like when our characters dress up and they get into character, so hopefully they will enjoy that,” he said.

Guyn said she plans to continue in the Fall with the past president’s plans to work with Children’s Miracle Network.

“This Summer, due to the change in presidency, we haven’t been doing much,” Guyn said.

“But I’m looking in Fall about possibly doing a charity auction for NERF guns and also just raising money and raising awareness for the big game.”