During a Senate meeting Wednesday night, Santa Fe College Student Senate approved and reinstated several senators and learned the outcome of a resolution about skateboarding on campus.

After weeks of discussion on where the resolution stood, President Pro-tempore Matthew Pearson told Senate the resolution was rejected by the college.

"It basically got shot down," Pearson said.

The resolution would have allowed students to skateboard on sidewalks bordering the campus and in the parking lots. Sen. Jay Bartels presented the resolution over the summer.

The Safety Committee — which discussed the matter during a meeting Aug. 20 — noted three causes for concern in allowing skateboards, scooters and roller skates on campus. It advised against changes to college rules to allow use of the items on campus as reasons for rejecting the resolution.

The concerns included the objects’ diminished ability to maneuver and avoid danger, the college having to assume exposure to new liability and a Florida statute that prohibits operation of the items in parking lots.

Senate approved Carlos Alfonzo as academic senator for the English department and his sister Annakarina Alfonzo as a senator-at-large.

Their brother, Rafael Alfonzo, was approved as director of communications at the previous Senate meeting.

Senators also approved a $2,353.56 overflow request by the Graphic Design Student Association to attend a graphic design conference in New Orleans from Oct. 8-10.

"There’s a lot of representatives from other colleges," said club president Erin Porter, adding the trip serves as a good way to make connections, acquire an understanding of the industry in a way education can’t and beef up portfolios.

Contact Hunter Williamson at hwilliamson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @hunterewilliam