The Coop to offer free chicken, sweet tea

Gainesville residents can celebrate the middle of the week today with free chicken and sweet tea.

Starting 6 p.m. today, The Coop, located at 1620 W. University Ave., will offer each customer a glass of sweet tea, three chicken tenders and a choice of dipping sauce for the second year in a row. While scheduled to end at 9 p.m., the event will last until supplies run out.

“It’s something to get the new freshmen, the new people in town who haven’t tried our food yet, to try our food for free and to get their foot in the door,” said Darren Kay, The Coop’s owner. He said second helpings are allowed, as long as customers go to the end of the line. In preparation for the event, Kay said they ordered 40 cases of chicken, which each contain roughly 200 chicken tenders.

Brian Turney, an 18-year-old UF health science freshman, said he thought many freshmen would become regular customers after the event.

“I think that it is a good idea,” said Turney, who ate at The Coop for the first time Tuesday. “Free food is always a good idea.”