Water fountains in parts of Norman Hall contaminated

<p>A water fountain in the east wing of Norman Hall is marked as out of order on Sept.17, 2015. Water in some parts of the building was deemed unsafe to drink.</p>

A water fountain in the east wing of Norman Hall is marked as out of order on Sept.17, 2015. Water in some parts of the building was deemed unsafe to drink.

The water fountains in Norman Hall’s east wing are temporarily closed.

"Out of Order," the papers taped above and on the fountains read. "Water unsafe to drink."

Thursday morning, the UF College of Education received a report saying the water in the water fountains on the first and ground floors of Norman Hall’s east wing contained a sediment and was unsafe to drink, said Larry Lansford, UF College of Education’s director of communications. The water in the sinks is still safe to use.

The college called UF Physical Plant immediately. Today, they will test the water and work to fix the problem, he said. Lansford said that Norman Hall is going through renovations, and plumbing is a part of that.

"This is more evidence of the renovations sorely needed at Norman Hall," he said.

UF elementary education junior Amanda Russo she has taken classes in Norman Hall the entire time she has been at UF. The 20-year-old said that because Norman is an older building, "It’s expected that all these things happen."

When she went to class Thursday morning, she said she didn’t see the signs. One of her friends messaged her about the water.

"It’s just something we need to be aware of," she said.

Contact Ansley Pentz at apentz@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @Ansley_Pentz