UF alumna pursues modeling career, hopes to work for Nike

<p>Tawanya Norwood poses on UF’s campus for a self-portrait for her Instagram, @th33besticanbe. Norwood hopes to become a Nike model by getting the company’s attention with athletic photos on social media.</p>

Tawanya Norwood poses on UF’s campus for a self-portrait for her Instagram, @th33besticanbe. Norwood hopes to become a Nike model by getting the company’s attention with athletic photos on social media.

If you catch Tawanya Norwood around Gainesville during one of her photoshoots, you will see a pair of rainbow tights, an iPad and a backpack that doubles as her tripod.

Norwood, 26, is a UF sociology alumna with a dream of modeling for Nike. Her day job is working in the human resources department at the University Athletic Association. But when she leaves the office, Norwood bends into complicated yoga poses and snaps pictures of herself.

Since creating her Instagram account, @th33besticanbe, in May, Norwood has gained 740 followers and posted 470 photos. This semester, she’s posted more than 100 photos. Two have won photo competitions, and another has more than 1,000 likes — including one from Nike’s official account.

Norwood reached out to Nike’s corporate office Saturday and got a response from the company president’s office Monday. They suggested she try to get signed to a modeling agency.

Her Instagram contains only a fraction of the 2,500 photos she has taken of herself for her modeling.

She takes her photos with an iPad she won at a raffle at a UF gymnastics meet last February.

"I don’t know what I would take the pictures with if I didn’t have that," Norwood said. "All I had before that was a dream."

At UF, she decided she wanted to become an athletic motivational speaker like her inspiration, Eric Thomas, an author and minister who speaks about never giving up.

"I’ve overcome a lot, especially since childhood and the neighborhood that I came from," she said. "I was struggling in school and listened to (Thomas). I heard his story and thought, ‘I would love to do that.’"

Modeling for Nike would add to her own story of success, she said.

"If I can accomplish becoming a Nike model, I’ll have a story that people will want to listen to," Norwood said.

A few months ago, Norwood reached out to Bruce Floyd, the UAA social media manager, for advice on using social media.

"It was kind of a random, spontaneous situation," Floyd said. "She came and found me when I had a few moments to spare and had me look at her photos."

Floyd said her work showed ingenuity and creativity, and he spent time advising her on how to add variety.

"She obviously knows what she’s doing," Floyd said. "She’s motivated and talented, and she’s smart because she’s a Gator."

Taking Floyd’s advice, Norwood began exploring new places in Gainesville to shoot, from the historic Depot Avenue train station to the DNA bridge that crosses over Southwest 13th Street.

Her friend and mentor, Sabrina Singleton, taught her about Instagram earlier this year. The two met at Alive Church in Gainesville, where Norwood shared her dreams.

"All you really need is a good gift," Singleton said. "I’ve seen her in action, and she’s got one."

Right now, Norwood is focusing on finding a modeling agency.

"Nobody knows what’s inside you better than you do," she said. "If you really believe in something, strive to attain it."