University Police investigating suicide at UF Hilton

Generic Crime
Generic Crime

The University Police Criminal Investigations Division is currently investigating a suicide at the Hilton University of Florida Conference Center hotel.

At about 2 p.m. Wednesday, hotel staff members found the body of a 29-year-old man, along with a suicide note, in one of the rooms of the Hilton hotel, located at 1714 SW 34th Street, said UPD Sgt. Jeffrey Lamb.

“The hotel staff initially found him,” Lamb said. “They checked the room and found a suicide note, and promptly called us.”

The man checked into the hotel Tuesday and never checked out, he added.

As of press time, Hilton management could not be reached for comment.

The man, who was not affiliated with UF, was killed by a single, self-inflicted gunshot wound, Lamb said.

Lamb would not specify where the man shot himself or who initially found his body and suicide note due to the ongoing investigation.

He said he was not allowed to release the man’s name because investigators have yet to contact the man’s family.

As of press time, it is unknown if the man is from Gainesville or out of town, Lamb said.

“I don’t know if he was from here or if he came here,” he said.

Contact Martin Vassolo at mvassolo@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @martindvassolo