The Gainesville Community Development Committee inched forward Wednesday with a housing plan to provide smaller, cheaper housing alternatives for the community and its homeless population.

City Commissioners Craig Carter and Randy Wells, along with city employees, discussed Tiny Housing, a social movement promoting homes five to 21 times smaller — and substantially cheaper — than standard single-family homes.

Carter said Tuesday he hoped the committee would make a recommendation to the city commission directing staff to draft an ordinance allowing tiny houses in certain areas.

But the committee failed to do that Wednesday.

Instead, it directed city staff to come up with a plan it would then review to see what the city can do regarding tiny housing.

“I think that’s an exciting first step,” Carter said. Carter, Wells and Alachua County Commissioner Robert Hutchinson all support the tiny-house concept.

From there, it would move forward — possibly with a tiny house constructed by volunteers to serve as an example for the community, Wells suggested.

When that will happen — or if it even will — is unclear. The committee must find a way to address building codes and other laws and regulations that could prevent or negate affordable tiny housing.

Contact Hunter Williamson at hwilliamson@alligator.org and follow him on Twitter @hunterewilliam.