<p>Students from Gators for Peace present their sign at Turlington Plaza on Tuesday, encouraging others to sign it in support of their cause.</p>

Students from Gators for Peace present their sign at Turlington Plaza on Tuesday, encouraging others to sign it in support of their cause.

Four students stood on Turlington Plaza this week and encouraged students to sign a banner in support of peace around the world.

Those four UF students created Gators for Peace after the Paris attacks in November. While the group is not an official UF organization, they hope to become one in the future. They currently meet and recruit members through Facebook.

The group, created by UF students Dean Sandquist, 20, Javi Garcia-Bengochea, 21, Brock Lilley, 20, and Sam Thompson, 20, now has more than 500 members.

Sandquist, a UF economics and political science junior, said the group wants to support victims of tragedy and terror around the world.

“We are encouraging people to post articles on the page to raise awareness and to tell their story, as I know some students are directly and indirectly affected by terrorism,” he said. “This Facebook group is an outlet for support.”

Garcia-Bengochea, a mechanical engineering junior, said he hopes the group brings UF students together.

“Students our age are in this bubble where we don’t really see or hear what goes on besides the stuff that gains a lot of attention in the news,” he said. “I wanted to do something to lift people’s spirits and bring back the faith in humanity — that people are still inherently good.”

Once the banner is full of signatures, the group wants to display it on campus, Garcia-Bengochea said. When students pass the banner, he hopes they understand Gators for Peace’s message.  

“Writing down your name is symbolic,” he said. “It means that you and all the other students that signed the banner are here for victims of tragedy and terror.”

Gators for Peace will continue to hold events and promote peace, Sandquist said.

“There’s just so much more people need to know about and support in order for there to be peace worldwide,” he said. “We thought this movement would be a good way to showcase that.”