Commission supports change to road policy, bikes

The Alachua County Planning Commission unanimously agreed Wednesday to a policy revision that would affect road maintenance.

The revision would save money when resurfacing Gainesville roads by no longer requiring the county to pave bike lanes and road shoulders. The Alachua County Board of County Commissioners will discuss the proposal on Feb. 23.

James Harriott Jr., the Deputy County Manager for Public Works and Growth Management, and Chris Dawson, the Alachua County senior transportation planner, pushed for the revision of Policy 1.6.8 of the Transportation Mobility Element in the County’s Comprehensive Plan.

About 15 adults and one baby listened to Harriott argue that 60 percent of Gainesville roads need resurfacing.

“We have pavement well beyond its normal life span,” Harriott said. “I would love to start from scratch — build a road from base up and build it perfect — but we don’t have the money in this county to do that.”

Members of Gainesville’s Cycling Club and the Gainesville Citizens for Active Transportation said cutting corners to save money will ruin safety in the long run.

Allyson Gill is the vice president of the cycling club, but she spoke for herself Wednesday. Gill said she strongly opposes the revision.

“I’m a taxpayer, so my taxes pay for all these projects just like everybody else,” she said.